FAQ: What is the Easiest Way to Start Teaching in the European Union (EU)?

FAQ: Locating Employment Abroad

How does Oxford Seminars' Job Placement Service work?

What does the Oxford Seminars Job Placement Service include?

How specific can my location choice be?

In which countries does the Graduate Placement Service have contacts?

I want to teach in the European Union (EU). Do I need an EU passport?

What is the easiest way to start teaching in the European Union (EU)?

What counts as teaching experience?

Will my age affect my ability to be placed?

I am not a native speaker. Can I still teach ESL?

I do not have a university degree. Will this affect finding a teaching position abroad?

When do overseas schools usually hire?

I have a criminal record; will this affect my ability to be placed overseas?

What is the easiest way to start teaching in the European Union (EU)?

  • For ESL teachers holding EU passports, it is recommended that you travel to the area in which you hope to work and start contacting schools with your application. Some teachers find that with persistence they are able to obtain a teaching position when applying from Canada.
  • Non-EU ESL teachers will likely have to travel to the area in question and apply in person for positions, trying to secure employment “under the table”; work on a tourist visa that may in time lead to a work visa. It should be noted that this is a short term solution, and Oxford Seminars does not condone working in this manner.
  • Contact the nearest embassy of the country in which you or your parents (in some cases, grandparents) were born and inquire as to whether you qualify for an EU passport. You can obtain a passport by completing a form online or in person, having it signed by a Notary Public, and paying a processing fee. Please be patient when applying, as passports can take a month or longer to obtain.
  • Some EU countries have a Working Holiday Visa (WHV) relationship with Canada. If you are eligible for WHV, you may be able to secure employment in countries such as France, Belgium and Italy without EU citizenship.