FAQ: I Want to Teach in the European Union (EU). Do I Need an EU Passport?

FAQ: Locating Employment Abroad

How does Oxford Seminars' Job Placement Service work?

What does the Oxford Seminars Job Placement Service include?

How specific can my location choice be?

In which countries does the Graduate Placement Service have contacts?

I want to teach in the European Union (EU). Do I need an EU passport?

What is the easiest way to start teaching in the European Union (EU)?

What counts as teaching experience?

Will my age affect my ability to be placed?

I am not a native speaker. Can I still teach ESL?

I do not have a university degree. Will this affect finding a teaching position abroad?

When do overseas schools usually hire?

I have a criminal record; will this affect my ability to be placed overseas?

I want to teach in the European Union (EU). Do I need an EU passport?

  • In order to work legally within the European Union, as in any country, you will need a work visa, unless you possess a valid EU passport.
  • It is possible to get a working visa in the EU without an EU passport; however, the process is difficult and expensive for the schools. Few schools are willing to go through this process and many are not comfortable with hiring teachers who are applying from overseas. Some EU countries will hire ESL teachers without EU passports; however, you will likely be working “under the table”; illegally, on a tourist visa.
  • It is worthwhile to see if you are eligible to obtain a Working Holiday Visa. Please consult your nearest Embassy or Consulate for more information.