FAQ: I Do Not Have a University Degree. Will This Affect Finding a Teaching Position Abroad?

FAQ: Locating Employment Abroad

How does Oxford Seminars' Job Placement Service work?

What does the Oxford Seminars Job Placement Service include?

How specific can my location choice be?

In which countries does the Graduate Placement Service have contacts?

I want to teach in the European Union (EU). Do I need an EU passport?

What is the easiest way to start teaching in the European Union (EU)?

What counts as teaching experience?

Will my age affect my ability to be placed?

I am not a native speaker. Can I still teach ESL?

I do not have a university degree. Will this affect finding a teaching position abroad?

When do overseas schools usually hire?

I have a criminal record; will this affect my ability to be placed overseas?

I do not have a university degree. Will this affect finding a teaching position abroad?

  • Some schools accept candidates with a college diploma or high school diploma in light of the value of native English ability and TESOL/TESL/TEFL certification. Among other countries, Oxford Seminars graduates who possess a two-year college diploma or associate's degree have often found TESL work in Taiwan, while whose with a high school diploma have found work in Mexico and Ecuador, for example..
  • However, while some schools do accept candidates without a bachelor’s degree, most schools/recruiters require candidates hold a Bachelor of Arts minimum in any discipline.
  • Some countries prefer that candidates apply for positions in person, allowing them to assess the level of competency. Some countries/schools seek experience. While applying in-country using a tourist visa, schools are sometimes willing to sponsor teachers for a working visa. It is important to keep in mind that there is at times stiff competition for ESL teaching positions with candidates holding a BA or higher having the advantage.