FAQ: Will I Be Able to Eat "Western" Food?

FAQ: Life Abroad

Will there be other foreigners at my school?

Will I be able to eat "Western" food?

I am a vegan/vegetarian. Will my diet be a concern?

Can I drink the tap water abroad?

Does my country of choice have suitable health facilities (i.e., modern hospitals, English speaking doctors and dentists…)?

Can I get my own apartment?

What is the cost of living for most ESL teachers?

Will I have access to transportation?

Do I need to know the native language of the country that I am travelling to?

I am a woman travelling alone. What measures can I take to ensure that I have a safe and enjoyable experience while teaching abroad?

Will I be able to eat "Western" food?

  • Major city centres will have large Western chains. There will likely be local Western restaurants, pubs and grocery stores run by members of the expatriate community. Before leaving, check your travel guide, as it will probably list resources in your area.
  • Also take a look at our Country Information section of our website, which includes a section about eating in other countries and approximate food costs.