Teaching TOEFL Preparation Specialization Module
Our Teaching TOEFL Preparation specialization module has been updated to reflect the new TOEFL iBT test, also referred to as "The Next Generation TOEFL". This stands for "Test of English as a Foreign Language Internet-Based Testing." Previously, the test was only available in paper-based testing or computer-based testing format. The TOEFL iBT has already rolled out in selected cities in Africa, the Americas, Europe, Eurasia, and the Middle East. It was launched throughout selected cities in Asia and the Pacific Region in 2006.
The TOEFL measures how well non-native speakers can read, write, and understand English. Writing the TOEFL is most often a pre-requisite for international students hoping to study in North American post secondary institutions. In addition, the score is used by government agencies, scholarship programs, and licensing agencies to assess English proficiency. As a result, ESL learners all over the world are seeking certified teachers trained in TOEFL preparation. This comprehensive 40-hour specialization module is designed by experts in the field to provide you with a thorough background in TOEFL, as well as a number of proven strategies to help students successfully write the test.
An additional 40-hour TESOL/TESL/TEFL certificate specializing in Teaching TOEFL Preparation
40-hour online course to be completed within three months of registration
Completion of the Oxford Seminars TESOL/TESL certification course
In completing the Oxford Seminars' Teaching TOEFL Preparation Module, you will:
- Gain a better understanding of teaching TOEFL preparation and the TOEFL iBT test itself, including administration, comparison of other various test formats, and content;
- Learn general guidelines to follow when planning and preparing to teach test preparation courses;
- Review the major sections of the TOEFL: listening, structure and grammar, reading, writing, and speaking;
- Learn how to successfully teach and prepare students for each section of the test.
No previous exposure to TOEFL required to take this course.
- Overview of the test and its administration, various test formats, and content
- Familiarization with the types of test questions and methods of scoring
- Review of language acquisition skills: listening, grammar, reading, writing, and speaking
- Focused guide and lesson samples to teaching the four principle components of the test
- Teaching exam preparation techniques (time management, test anxiety, review and recall, strategic guessing)
- Teaching test passing techniques through sample questions and practice tests
In this module students will complete an assignment consisting of six sections (100 multiple-choice questions) with marks allotted as follows:
|Section 1:||General Questions||4|
|Section 3:||Structure and Grammar||19|
- Teaching TOEFL Preparation Course Book (Oxford Seminars)
- Longman Preparation Course for the TOEFL Test (Deborah Phillips, Third Edition)
*All Materials are included in course fee
Graduates of the TESOL/TESL Certification with Specialization in TOEFL Preparation are in high demand among educational institutes. There is also the opportunity to teach one-on-one, since many job candidates, students, travellers, etc. require assistance in their studies. As English becomes a necessity for global communication, language proficiency testing is becoming more prominent and being qualified to assist in this process is a very marketable skill.
To request a specialization module, please call our offices toll free at 1-800-269-6719 (Toronto area: 416-924-3240; Vancouver area: 604-683-3430). To register by fax or mail, please print the
Module Registration form.