Can I work on a student or tourist visa?
- It is possible to work on a student or tourist visa; however, this practice is illegal.
- In Asia, many schools will ask you to come on a tourist visa, especially if there are time constraints involved. The school will secure you a work visa upon arrival. This practice may require you to do a visa run to a nearby country. If this is required, the school should be responsible for the cost. You should research this thoroughly prior to your departure.
- In some countries (like those in Latin America) it is very difficult to obtain a working visa, so working on a tourist visa is common practice. Tourist visas are usually valid for about 90 days depending on the country that you are travelling to.
- There are many downsides to this practice:
- It is illegal and, if caught, a teacher can be fined and perhaps deported. In some countries the fine will be charged to the school.
- You may be required to leave the country often (approximately every three months) to renew your visa; this is commonly known as a visa run.