There are so many acronyms associated with this industry. What do they signify?
- Teaching English as a second language/English as a second language
- English is the second language of the people you are teaching. English is spoken in the country where you are teaching (i.e., you are teaching in English in Britain).
- Teaching English as a foreign language
- English is taught as a foreign language to people who live in a country where English is not spoken (i.e., teaching English in Brazil).
- Teaching English to speakers of other languages
- This is a North American term that covers both EFL and ESL instruction. It is also the name of a teachers’ association.
- English for specific purposes
- This term refers to the focused learning of topics ranging from business English to TOEFL. Oxford Seminars offers specialization modules on these topics.
- Test of English as a foreign language
- This is an academic based standardized test given to English language learners.
- A high score on this test is required for entry into most Canadian colleges and universities to ensure that a foreign student is competent and fluent in English.
- Test of English for international communication
- This is a standardized test required in many international work places. It focuses on vocabulary and communication skills.